Fortnite: Creating and Coding 3D Games
If you love 3D-based video games and want to explore how to make them, then this camp is for you! Fortnite: Creating and Coding 3D Games is a camp experience designed for kids who are interested in learning more about game design and who are interested in getting a basic introduction to programming. In this camp, you’ll dive deep into learning about how to use Fortnite’s Creative Mode and focus on learning about variables, functions, conditional statements, loops and triggers. Our daily build and code challenges will help you hone your programming and design skills and provide you with a feeling for what it’s like to be a real game developer. This unique game design program is one of our most popular camp programs. Camp provides introductory lessons on programming and game design, and all skill levels are welcome to attend.
|Topics & Skills Covered:||Goals & Objectives|
|– 3D FPS design principles|
– 3D level design
– 3D problem solving
– Coding and Programming Skills
– Collaboration and communication
– Constructive feedback
– Critical thinking
– Fortnite game design
– Game design principles
– Game testing
– Introduction to 3D game design principles
– Iterative design
– Problem solving
– Puzzle design
– Scope and scale
– Time management
|– Develop 3D worlds, puzzles and problems and explore how to build 3D game worlds|
– Introduction to 3D FPS design principles
– Demonstrate an understanding of variables as a concept in the context of a game.
– Create a puzzle in a game environment that incorporates the use of variables.
– Demonstrate an understanding of collision detection in the context of a game.
– Create an obstacle course with challenges that incorporate the use of collision detection, events, and triggers.
– Demonstrate an understanding of conditional statements in the context of a game.
– Create a puzzle in a game environment that incorporates the use of conditional statements.
– Demonstrate an understanding of functions in the context of a game.
– Create a puzzle in a game environment that incorporates the use of functions.
– Demonstrate an understanding of loops as a computer science concept.
– Apply an understanding of loops as a means of musical composition in the context of a game.
Please note: The Fortnite videogame has an ESRB Rating of T (Teen). Titles rated T (Teen) have content that is generally suitable for ages 13 and up.
To help you understand the ESRB rating, here is a summary that outlines the ESRB’s summary of why the game is rated T:
This is an action game in which players build forts, gather resources, craft weapons, and battle hordes of monsters in frenetic combat. From a third-person perspective, players use guns, swords, and grenades to fight skeleton-like monsters (husks) in ranged and melee-style combat. Players can also defeat enemies by using various traps (e.g., electric, spikes, poisonous gas). Battles are highlighted by frequent gunfire, explosions, and cries of pain.