Minecraft: The Science of Amusement Parks
Heart-pounding fun, thrilling rides and attractions, the sights and sounds of amusement parks are one of a kind. In the Science of Amusement Parks, participants will work with instructors as part of a team to learn the basic science and engineering behind roller coasters and other amusement park attractions. We will use Minecraft to create virtual rides and attractions to experience the thrill of the turns, tunnels and drops!
Goals and Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate understanding of physical forces in a virtual Minecraft world
- Explore how the real-world effects of physics on a roller coasters and other amusement rides
- Gain the ability to define and explain examples of kinetic and potential energy, friction and gravity
- Understand what it takes to design and build your own theme park rides and attractions using Minecraft
Projects and Activities
- Build 2-3 roller coasters
- Build a few amusement park features such as queues, ticket booths, games
- Build a few simple Redstone features
- Review several rides using constructive feedback techniques
Primary Computer Device:
- Windows 8, 10 or 11
- or Mac OS
- or Chromebook
- or iPad
Additional Tech Used:
- Web Camera
- Minecraft Education Edition
More Information About This Camp
Summer is right around the corner and it’s time to start thinking about what kind of fun and educational activities your kids can participate in! If your child is a fan of Minecraft and loves the idea of building and creating their own world, then they will love Minecraft: The Science of Amusement Parks, a summer camp program from Fleming Tech Camps. This camp is designed to be both fun and educational, as campers will have the opportunity to explore the real-world effects of physics on roller coasters and other amusement rides, while also learning about the physics of a virtual Minecraft world. Campers will gain a deeper understanding of physical forces such as friction, gravity and kinetic and potential energy as they design and build their own theme park rides and attractions using Minecraft. Throughout the camp, children will work in teams to design, build and test their own amusement park rides and attractions. They will learn how to use Minecraft to create different types of rides and attractions, and how to use physics to make them more realistic and fun. They will learn about the different types of energy and how they relate to the rides they are building. They will also learn how to use physics to make their rides safe and fun for everyone. The campers will also have the opportunity to interact with other campers and share their ideas and designs. They will be able to explore and test different rides and attractions, and learn from the other campers. They will also have the opportunity to present their designs to the other campers and receive feedback. In addition to learning about physics and Minecraft, campers will also learn valuable teamwork and communication skills. They will have to work together to design, build and test their rides, and they will have to be able to explain their ideas to others. They will learn how to work together and build on each other’s ideas, which will help them in all areas of life. Overall, Minecraft: The Science of Amusement Parks is an exciting and educational summer camp program that will allow your child to explore the world of physics and Minecraft in a fun and interactive way. They will learn valuable skills, work together with other campers, and will have a blast building and designing their own amusement park rides and attractions. Sign up today and give your child the opportunity to have a summer they will never forget!
Topics and Skills Covered
- 3D design
- Building design
- Collaboration and communication
- Constructive feedback
- Minecraft construction
- Minecraft design
- Physics concepts such as potential/kinetic energy
- Problem solving
- Roller coaster design
- Science concepts in amusement parks
- Scope and scale
- Time management
Cool & Funny Things
Top 10 Things Kids Will Love About Minecraft: The Science of Amusement Parks Summer Camp:
- Building your own roller coasters and other rides – it’s like being in charge of your own theme park!
- Learning about physics in a fun, interactive way – no boring lectures here!
- Working with other campers to design and build – teamwork makes the dream work!
- Testing out different rides and attractions – you’ll be the first one to ride the newest and coolest!
- Showing off your designs to other campers and receiving feedback – it’s like being a real amusement park designer!
- Learning valuable skills like teamwork and communication – you’ll be a pro at working with others!
- Exploring the physics of a virtual Minecraft world – it’s like being in two worlds at once!
- Learning about the real-world effects of physics on roller coasters and other rides – it’s like being a science detective!
- Having an unforgettable summer experience – it’s something you’ll remember for a long time!
- And the number one thing kids will love about this camp, the chance to be a real-life amusement park designer and build the most exciting and unique rides that you can imagine!
BONUS: You’ll be able to brag to your friends and family that you know how to build a roller coaster and theme park rides, that’s super cool!
Careers That Relate to This Camp
- Amusement Park Designer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Physics Teacher
- Roller Coaster Engineer
- Construction Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Safety Engineer
- Project Manager
Note: These jobs are not exclusively related to the video game industry. However, the skills learned through this camp may be transferable to these fields, as well as other fields, depending on the individual’s interests and career goals.