Real World Engineering and Design with LEGO Machines & Mechanisms
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be an engineer and use technology to solve real world problems? In this hands-on program you will work on experiments and build machines, pneumatic devices, and renewable energy applications. You and your team will be given real life issues to solve and you’ll need to use your engineering skills to find a solution for these problems. This program will feature exploring renewable energy through real-life models; investigating energy supply, transfer, accumulation, conversion and consumption; building and exploring pneumatics; investigating power systems and components; reading and measuring pressure; and exploring kinetic and potential energy. As the week goes on you will gain more engineering knowledge and be able to build more complex mechanisms and solutions. No prior experience is necessary! All skill levels are welcome.
Goals and Learning Objectives
- Learn to construct LEGO machines, pneumatic devices
- Learn engineering skill to solve real world problems
- Learn how motors work using LEGO Machines and Mechanisms
- Understand how to work on progressively more difficulty challenges to increase your engineering skills
- Learn collaboratively in a small team to solve more difficult problems as the week goes on
Projects and Activities
- In small teams, work to build machines, build and explore pneumatics
- Learn how power systems work, explore potential and kinetic energy
- Learn engineering skills with the LEGO Machines and Mechanisms set
Cool & Funny Things
- Building machines with LEGOs is even cooler than playing with them!
- You’ll learn to power your machines with motors, just like a real engineer!
- The more difficult the challenge, the cooler your engineering skills become.
- You’ll get to collaborate with a small team, so you can all be cool together!
- You’ll learn how to think creatively and come up with super cool solutions to real-world problems.
- You’ll be working with LEGOs all day, which is way cooler than doing homework!
- You’ll be able to show off your cool machine designs to your friends and family!
- You’ll get to work with pneumatic devices, which are super cool and futuristic.
- You’ll have so much fun building and creating, you won’t even realize you’re learning!
- The super cool thing about this camp is that you get to be an engineer and build super cool things with LEGOs!
More Information About This Camp
Topics and Skills Covered
- Problem solving
- Collaboration and communication
- Constructive feedback
- Critical thinking
- Engineering-based problem-solving
- Iterative design
- Problem solving
- Scope and scale
- Time management
- LEGO Simple and Powered Machines
- LEGO Machines and Mechanisms
- Mechanical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- Robotics Engineer
- Product Designer
- Industrial Designer
- Structural Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- HVAC Engineer
Primary Computer Device:
- Windows 8, 10 or 11
- or Mac OS
Additional Tech Used:
- Web Camera
- LEGO Machines & Mechanisms with Pneumatics